Blackburn with Darwen Library and Information Service
What is it?
The Library Service offers free membership and access to a range of services which include:
- Five libraries; Blackburn, Darwen,Livesey, Roman Road and Mill Hill
- Welcoming space to meet study and relax
- Loan of books, both fiction and non-fiction, including talking books and large print – all free of charge
- Free loan of e-books including fiction and non-fiction titles and audio format
- A low cost reservation service for books not in our stock
- Loan of DVDs and CDs for a small charge
- Free access top computers and e-resources
- Free computer classes and drop-in sessions
- Access to local and national newspapers
- Community history resources, including free access to Ancestry, Find My Past and Cotton Town, books, maps, photographs, old newspapers etc
- Author visits, talks, coffee mornings and other events
- Children’s services including loan of books, both fiction and non-fiction and talking books. Free rhyme times and story times, free or low cost events for children during school holidays
- Home delivery service for anyone living within the borough who is unable, because of age or infirmity, to visit the library.
- Disabled access at all branches and additional facilities at selected branches
- Reading Well, Books on Prescription, a scheme run in partnership with GPs and other health professionals within the borough for those with mild to moderate mental health conditions
- Website with 24/7 access to the library catalogue, selected e-resources and the option to renew or reserve books
- Up-to-date information on the library website and social media sites
- Monthly library e-newsletter free to all subscribers
- Volunteering opportunities
- Scanning and printing facilities
- Photocopying, fax and laminating facilities available at selected libraries
Who is it for?
Anyone who lives in, works in or visits the borough on a regular basis.